What Are the Payouts for The Mega Millions?
The Texas Mega Millions Lottery offers many ways to win, with different payout for each of them. The biggest payouts go to jackpot winners, which are players who hold tickets with numbers that match all 5 regular numbers and the Mega Ball number picked as the winning numbers in a drawing. These big winners will be awarded a prize of at least $40 million. However, since the jackpot for this lotto game is a rolling one, the prize amount is often much higher.
A recent example was the January 9, 2018 drawing, where the jackpot was $40 million. Since there was no jackpot winner in that drawing, the prize rolled over. It continued to be rolled into consecutive drawings until a winning ticket was sold for the March 30, 2018 drawing. By then the pot had grown to $521 million – quite a payout for that lucky winning ticket holder.
Matching just some of the winning numbers drawn can yield other, smaller prizes. For example, these are the prizes – other than the $340 million jackpot – for the July 13, 2018 drawing, according to the Texas Lottery website:
- Matched all 5 regular numbers: $1 million
- Matched 4 regular numbers plus the Mega Ball number: $10,000
- Matched 4 regular numbers only: $500
- Matched 3 regular numbers plus the Mega Ball number: $200
- Matched 3 regular numbers only: $10
- Matched 2 regular numbers plus the Mega Ball number: $10
- Matched 1 regular number plus the Mega Ball number: $4
- Matched just the Mega Ball number: $2
Another thing to know about Texas Mega Millions Lottery payouts is that they are higher for players who choose the Megaply option when they get their tickets. For an extra fee, these players can see their winnings multiplied by up to 5 times, and this feature applies to all prizes except the jackpot.
In the July 13, 2018 drawing, 77,767 Texans won prizes, and 22,364 of those winners increased their winnings by using the Megaply feature.